What are your other favourite female singer ?

Discussions about other female singer/songwriters.
Rubis
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Rubis » 13 Mar 2004, 09:15

Hi there!

Sophie is my favourite singer of course but I like other singer as well. Here's a small list:

Jewel
Lene Marlin
Tracy Chapman
Bic runga
Delta Goodrem
Leann Rimes

Bic Runga is from New-Zealand, she's a singer-songwriter like Sophie. Delta Goodrem is from Australia. I guess you already know the other one :wink: !

I also like the dutch band " Twarres". To all the dutch fan of Sophie: what do you think of Twarres?

See ya!

Rindert
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rindert » 16 Mar 2004, 16:51

The other femal singer/(songwriters i like are:

Jewel
Sarah McLachlan
Kirsten
Alanis Morisette
Dido
Sita

I yhink the only one you might not know are Kirsten and Sita. Sita makes music similar to Delta Goodrem an the girl form 'Lizzie Mcguire' (I forgot her name).
Kirsten is a little bit more like Jewel in the old days with a little more guitar.

I also like the dutch band " Twarres". To all the dutch fan of Sophie: what do you think of Twarres?
I also like Twarres. I think she had a really nice voice. Though sometimes thier songs sound to much like thier other songs. They all really have a the same sort of sound in them. But i do think they shound't have split up. The had some really big hits her in Holland maybe even #1 in the charts.
its always you - www.always-sophie.com

Rubis
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Rubis » 16 Mar 2004, 21:09

I didn't know that " Twarres" split up. That's a pity! Do you know why they split up?

I know Sita and I do like her music! That's funny 'cause I intended to write her on the list I posted in my message above, but I forgot :? !

Actually I got to know Sita and Twarres by watching to MCM, a belgian music channel that you might know in Holland. Then Sita began to get a little famous in french-speaking countries 'cause she sang with a french band called Kyo. Their song "Le chemin" was really a big hit and they got several awards. I think Sita should be awarded as well 'cause she participated to their success, but she didn't get anything...that not really fair! But I hope she'll get famous for her own music soon!

About Kirsten, I don't know anything. Does she sing in Dutch?

See ya!

Rindert
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rindert » 17 Mar 2004, 19:27

I'm not sure why Twarres split up, i think it is because Mirjam (the female part of Twarres) wanted a solo carreer. But since they broke up I haven't heard from Mirjam again in the dutch media, but that might come soon.

It's really cool you also know Sita. A few weeks ago MTV holland had a special Stia-week, only thing is that i found that out and the end of the week :oops: I did hear the song Le Chemin on th last sunday of the week and it sounded very good. I'm not sure if it will be released in Holland. I think the last french hit we had here was Alizee, a few years back. French songs aren't that popular.

I got to know Kirsten from going to a Jewel concert in amsterdam. Kirsten was the supporting act. She sing in english. I 'm looking for a website link right now.... Found it http://www.kirstenonline.nl/ It is only in dutch so i hope you can understand. But you can get to know her music there.
its always you - www.always-sophie.com

Elske
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Elske » 19 Mar 2004, 20:05

I tought Le Chemin already was released here in Holland. Last Year..

I'm not sure..
ww.always-sophie.com

But it's always a pleasure to sing and dance with you!

Myrthe
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by Myrthe » 26 Mar 2004, 11:59

Le Chemin...Great song isdat :)
I also like:

Jewel
Sarah McLachlan
Charlene
Delta Goodrem, some of her songs...
Dido
Judith ( A Dutch Singer and Songwriter)

Hilary Duff is the girl from Lizzie McGuire, rindert

Chogu
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by Chogu » 15 May 2004, 21:44

My favorites are:

Faye Wong
PoE
Bic Runga
Fiona Apple

Some bands with good female vocalist would be; Elysian Fields, Cibo Matto, Luscious Jackson, Kostars, Garbage, Joydrop, and some Goldfrapp.

Nini
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by Nini » 26 May 2004, 11:56

Any Tori Amos fans here :wink:

Yeah I like Sarah McLachlan, Alanis and Fiona Apple, too, but I'm not really a "fan"
Do you know Rosie Thomas? Amazon suggested her to me when I was shopping Sophie CDs, so she ist similar to her, but still different. It's really nice music :D Vienna Teng and Charlotte Martin are cool. They make mostly piano-based music (I just love that instrument! ;))

Oh and Natalie Imbruglia is nice once in a while, too :P

(I mostly listen to music by female singers, don't know why ;))

zuperparanoid
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by zuperparanoid » 29 May 2004, 15:41

I am also a huge Tori Amos fan, I have all her albums and also several CDsingles. I also think Lene Marlin is great. Her second album "Another time" is much better than her first. If you haven't heard the album yet, it is highly recommended. I think everybody that love Sophie Zelmani, also will love Lene Marlin, 'cause their music and their way of singing, is very similar. Other great female artists, Emm Gryner, Kate Rusby, Mazzy Star, Mojave 3, Cowboy Junkies and the last album of the Cardigans... And I have probably forgotten many...

It's always nice to discover "new" artists, so thanks for all the tips. I will check 'em out.

[quote=""Nini""]Any Tori Amos fans here :wink:

Yeah I like Sarah McLachlan, Alanis and Fiona Apple, too, but I'm not really a "fan"
Do you know Rosie Thomas? Amazon suggested her to me when I was shopping Sophie CDs, so she ist similar to her, but still different. It's really nice music :D Vienna Teng and Charlotte Martin are cool. They make mostly piano-based music (I just love that instrument! ;))

Oh and Natalie Imbruglia is nice once in a while, too :P

(I mostly listen to music by female singers, don't know why ;))[/quote]

lilian
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by lilian » 09 Jul 2004, 12:07

i like DIDO,too.
i am in china, i also like chinese singer, Faye.

Guillaume
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by Guillaume » 18 Aug 2004, 18:53

Hi all,

It's funny the similitudes between all...
I like Dido too but i like :
- Madonna
- Norah Jones
- Aime Mann : She's american and she's not very famous in France...It's very pity. She signs movie original band of "Magnolia"
- Sade
- Brithney Spears
- Mylene Farmer (french)
- Zazie (french)
- Julie Piétri (french)
and several more...
french fan

northside66
Junior Sophie Fan
Junior Sophie Fan

Favorite singers (female)

Post by northside66 » 04 Oct 2004, 23:11

My favorite two at least for the last year are Sophie and Kasey Chambers (from Australia and a songwriter herself). Kasey is a little bit country and even though I don't like country that much, I love Kasey. Some of my other favorites are :

Fisher (a husband and wife team who write great songs together)
Dido
Chantal Kreviazuk (from Canada)
The Corrs
Tift Merritt
Katie Melua

Z
Junior Sophie Fan
Junior Sophie Fan

Post by Z » 05 Oct 2004, 15:07

Big, big fan of Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan.
Also like:
Bjork
Natalie Merchant
Leona Naess
Heather Nova
Sheryl Crow
Bebel Gilberto
Aimee Mann
Bic Runga

Check out a band called "Little Birdy" too, especially a song called "relapse". They're the next big thing out of Australia!

LF
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by LF » 21 Oct 2004, 15:42

Hi !
Thank you very much : Thanks to you i've discovered Bic Runga (i'd already heard Sway and Get Some Sleep on radio, but I did'nt know her).
I bought "Drive" and "Beatiful Collisions" at good price on amazon. These albums are quite cool, and maybe i'd rather drive than beautiful collisions.

However, i'd like too Natalie Imbruglia, Heather Nova, Sheryl Crow... and some french woman singer. ....
about why loneliness follows me"

northside66
Junior Sophie Fan
Junior Sophie Fan

Thanks

Post by northside66 » 31 Oct 2004, 14:37

Thats why I love these msgbds. You get leads on great singers. Thanks to this board I've diacovered Bic Runga and Lene Marlin. Great stuff. :D