New album called "Memory Loves You"

Everything about Sophie
Bernd
Junior Sophie Fan
Junior Sophie Fan

Post by Bernd » 09 Feb 2007, 15:17

@ Markus:
I totally agree with you in many points you mentioned, especially your last statement.
Your time as a teenager has come to an end a long long time ago. Wasn't it in the beginning of the 90's of the last century?? :twisted:
SCNR,
Bernd.

dannewestis
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by dannewestis » 10 Feb 2007, 13:13

Thanks for the welcome, Markus!

Having listened to the album a few more times I thought I'd nuance the discussion slightly. Although there's no doubt that this is another wonderful album (who's surprised?!?), I do actually miss a few things on this one.

I think that many of the songs I love with Sophie can be summarized with one word: groovy. I love the soft, melancholic groovy beat of Lars Halapi's production (and the excellent band), in combination with Sophie's intimate voice.

But on Memory loves you there is less of that groove and more of the simple beauty that of course also has been characteristic of the earlier albums, more and more so for each new album. Perhaps that's also why some of the songs I like most on Memory loves you have that groovy beat: "Memory loves you" and "Travelling" most notably. And still, that groove is softer on those songs than on earlier albums.

I also miss that she doesn't use a stronger voice more often. On earlier songs like "You and him", "Black day", "People" etc. Sophie is using a more vigorous voice that is increasingly more scarce with later albums as there is more focus on softer songs.

I know she doesn't like the way she sings on the first album and is more comfortable with the way she sings these days. But still, I'd like to hear a few more songs with that stronger voice... that energy. "You and him" and "Tell me you're joking" are still two of my very favourite songs, both the wonderfyl lyrics, the energetic voice of Sophie and the groovy music.

As Markus reflects, she probably has increased her poetic skills even more on Memory loves you, though. I must admit I don't often listen as carefully to Sophie's lyrics as to the music. But my favourite songs are those where beautiful music is combined with touching lyrics.

So although I definitely love Memory loves you, I'm not all that convinced about the trend towards softer songs and softer voice.

The only time I've met Sophie - briefly after a concert in Kalmar, Sweden, (on the Love affair tour) where she was sitting on the stage side as the others took down the gear - I asked her about this, that the songs become more and more quiet. I don't remember exactly what she answered and as I hadn't thought about what I wanted to ask I didn't quite know what to talk with her about anyway... She agreed, but couldn't really say why that had become so.

What do others think about this?

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 10 Feb 2007, 16:16

Hi Daniel,

I totally can understand your analysis and I agree with you on many points. Let´s see if I also will share the conclusions with you, when holding my copy of "Memory loves you" in my own hands while listening to the whole CD. :wink:
But for now a few (very subjective) observations and feelings:
I agree that Sophie´s style has changed over the years in the way you have told. But a big change of style I only can see from the first to the second album. In my opinion all other changes are more a kind of quiet evolution. I don´t see very different styles from the second to all of her later albums. In my opinion Sophie found her individual, very, very quiet and authentic style, with her second album and from that point on she constantly worked out that kind of style more and more.
But even that I like her first album, especially "You and him", I love the way Sophie has changed her style from that point on, even more.
So I agree with all of your observations, but my conclusions and individual feelings differ a bit. Maybe that´s the case because I fell in love with Sophie´s music listening to her fifth album "Love Affair" first. So I noticed Sophie´s great work much too late in the beginning of 2004 with the German release of "Love Affair", which was the beginning of my addiction to Sophie´s music. For most of her "older" fans the "Sophiemania" began with her first album. And the first love often is the most (whats soever) one.... :wink:
So maybe that´s why I like her newer albums even more (if that´s possible) than her older ones.

Markus

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 10 Feb 2007, 17:16

A few more thoughts - on the question why Sophie´s albums and songs become more and more quiet:

I remember Sophie saying in an interview, that she writes songs mostly when she feels sad. So let´s guess her writing is a kind of therapy for her through which see expresses her own deep feelings. This of course only could be an explanation for why her songs are quiet and melancholic at all. No answer to the question why they get more and more quiet. So I really don´t know. But if it´s true that Sophie only writes down her music and lyrics when feeling sad, than her songs must be very autobiographical. This of course, these autobiographical elements, could be an explanation for why she uses more and more metaphors. No one would like to express his or her deep feelings clearly to an anonymous, big audience. It´s better to express and hide them using metaphors and riddles. But why her music gets more and more quiet (if that´s true), it´s maybe impossible to say. In the interview on Sophie-Zelmani.com she says that she can´t speak about her songs. That they would "be in a way her secrets".
So we have to live with this, with these secrets - and the answer to the question why her songs becoming more and more quiet, maybe is such a secret.
But if Sophie describes her songs as being her secrets, I think, we all can live with that, because these secrets result in these wonderful songs we all love so much. :D

Ok, ok, once more way to enthusiastic and pathetic. But what should I do?
:wink:

Markus

Halbermensch
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Halbermensch » 10 Feb 2007, 17:23

She said in the Swedish interview on the topic I created that sometimes the songs 'you' is really herself...

If I had time I would translate the entire thing to English for everyone to read...unfortunaly all the school job is taking too much time atm.

Personally, and I'm sad to say this but I find her latest album to be her weakest and the only album that doesn't really drag me into the songs. Perhaps it has something to with my memory but I can't really remember a lof of the songs, while I can still 'play' a lot of the old(er) songs in my head without trouble. So I pretty much agree with dannewestis...

It's not by any means bad, but I think she can do it better.

dannewestis
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by dannewestis » 10 Feb 2007, 20:17

[quote=""Halbermensch""]If I had time I would translate the entire thing to English for everyone to read...unfortunaly all the school job is taking too much time atm.[/quote]

I decided to translate the article quickly to English. I haven't read though it, but posted it in the thread with the links to the interviews and reviews.

MrC
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by MrC » 11 Feb 2007, 21:55

This is my first post on this forum, but i´ve been listening to Zelmani since her "Sing and dance" album 2002.

I would just like to say that memory loves you is a briliant album! I just fell in love with the second song with the same name as the album right away, that one is so beutiful! Excellent! I like the other songs on this new album too, but that one is really something special.

Right now i´m looking forward to see her at the opening of her memory loves you tour in Stockholm 12th Mars

Halbermensch
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Halbermensch » 12 Feb 2007, 17:59

The album is growing on me, atleast some songs and especially I got Yours...which sounds sweet with headphones.

"Hopefully my speakers will be finished by this week, partially DIY"

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 15 Feb 2007, 17:45

I´ve just discovered that "Memory loves you" has entered the Swedish Album charts at No.2 (first week). Even if commercial success seems not to be that important for Sophie, I think it´s great and maybe a late birthday present. :)
Let´s hope that the new album will get similar recognition from listeners in other countries, too. We will hope and see. :D

Markus

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Re: New album called "Memory Loves You"

Post by Markus » 22 Feb 2007, 10:37

My wishing that the new album gets good recognition from listeners in other countries has become true - at least in Switzerland. "Memory loves you" has entered the Swiss Album charts at No.9 (first week).  :)

Markus

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Re: New album called "Memory Loves You"

Post by Markus » 09 Mar 2007, 12:54

And more great news.  :D

"Memory loves you" has entered the official German album charts at position no. 90. Position no. 90 may not sound that great compared to the higher chart positions in Sweden and Switzerland; but - if I´m right - it´s the first time ever that one of Sophie´s albums entered the German charts.  So, Congratulations, Sophie!  :)

Markus