Songs meanings

Everything about Sophie
zwikker

Songs meanings

Post by zwikker » 16 Nov 2004, 03:37

The lyrics of her songs seams to have many meanings. It is sometimes too difficult (for me) to explain what SZ ment. I believe it was on that site that I read her interpretation for "Time to kill".

Today I was listening to "Happier man". What is your point of view on the meaning? Please, share with us.

Any other songs? Lets put everyting we think about the lyrics in that topic:)

zuperparanoid
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Songs meanings

Post by zuperparanoid » 21 Nov 2004, 14:10

I'm not sure of the lyrics for “Happier manâ€

LF
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Songs meanings

Post by LF » 21 Nov 2004, 23:23

About "Maja's song", we've talked about on my forum, in french.
I think this is not autobiographic (not really). It's about a girl (friend ? just a creation ?) who used to believed in God, but realised a kind of 'perversity' (that's not really what I mean, but my english is limited) :
- she can give love, but love is not for her
- she can feel, but she's only feeling sadness
- when she fall in love, it's with a man who's gonna die
- her eyes make some men falling in love with her, but she has nothing to give except suffering
- she has sincerely believed in God ... and the man she loved has died.

I love this song too, because this is a good example of the talent of Sophie, who can describe very well (and just in few simple words) some kind of indescribable feelings. She 's just touching you.

About 'Happier Man' ... this is my interpretation (but once again i'm just a french man who's trying to understand) :
It's just about love and 'harmony', as if it was possible to concil the both , and as if love was a thing that we can temperate ... or if it was possible to calculate the happiness.
This guy wanted everything being calm and clear, haven't known enjoying what he's got, and all that he's managed to do was to kill the desire and passion between them.
about why loneliness follows me"

blutroniq
Junior Sophie Fan
Junior Sophie Fan

Songs meanings

Post by blutroniq » 01 Dec 2004, 03:45

I may be wrong here, but every album has been somewhat autobiographical.

1. Sophie Zelmani -- A collection of mostly romantic and joyful songs.
2. Precious Burden -- A very introspective album in which the lyrics deal with with thinking about leaving someone and facing the inevitability of a downward-spiralling relationship.
3. Time To Kill -- Songs about the breakup of a relationship. Easily Sophie's most emotional album.
4. Sing & Dance -- The first couple of songs look back at the dissolved relationship (Oh Dear, How's Your Heart Doing). Most of the rest of the album is about Sophie and the world/people around her.
5. Love Affair -- While a lot of the songs deal with inner feelings, there seems to be a theme (especially toward the end of the album) that Sophie is either in love, or ready to fall in love again.

This is what makes Sophie's music so wonderful. You can listen to the songs, feel what she has felt, and understand what she's been through.

northside66
Junior Sophie Fan
Junior Sophie Fan

Sophie's life

Post by northside66 » 05 Dec 2004, 02:20

Someone of such talent shouldn't have to go through turmoil, but I guess that's part of life.

drain1368
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

woops

Post by drain1368 » 29 Nov 2005, 02:17

[quote=""zwikker""] I believe it was on that site that I read her interpretation for "Time to kill".[/quote]

Ahh woops, now i get it.

smulan
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Songs meanings

Post by smulan » 03 Dec 2005, 10:22

About Maja's song

She sad in a concert in Gothenburg (march 2004) that Maja is a rather new freind of hers and that this song is about her. She also said that it's actually "Maja's and Christer's song" but that she unfortunately never got to know Christer.

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Songs meanings

Post by Markus » 05 Apr 2006, 18:55

I know this topic was opened a long time ago. But I think it´s pretty interesting. And I have a few thoughts I want to share with you.

First of all, I wouldn´t say that Sophie isn´t believing in God. But I wouldn´t say that she is a strong believer, either. Or maybe it´s better to express it in a different way. Maybe she believes in God or at least wants to believe in God, but has her doubts.
"Maja´s song" and "time to kill" are hinting in this direction, in the direction that her relationship with God may be a very problematic one. But at least there is a relationship.

But there is another song on the "Love Affair" album: "Dream gets clear". And I think, listining to this song, you can feel a more positive attitude. A person who goes out in the nature, to a lonely and quiet place, searching maybe for god and finally finds him. Maybe my interpretation is wrong. But that´s my understanding of this song.

So, if we think that Sophie´s songs are a little bit autobiographical, or at least about her own feelings, than in my opinion these songs are giving mixed signals about her relationship with God.

I would conclude, that she believes (or at least is searching for God), but in a very doubtful way, that sometimes could be very hard.

It´s really hard for me to become philosophical in a foreign language.:wink:

Markus