Sophie´s song "To know you" in a Swiss TV spot

Everything about Sophie
Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 20 Mar 2006, 02:41

Hello all!

On the swiss webpage of the carmaker Volvo you can watch a TV spot. As I have read it should be broadcasted from late februrary and it contains Sophie´s song "To know you". The spot is in German, but until now I haven´t discovered it on German television. But maybe it only will be broadcasted in Switzerland?
Rubis, did you discovered the spot allready on Swiss TV?

You can find the link to the spot at:

http://de.volvocars.ch/_Tier3/AboutUs/N ... efault.htm

(On the left side of that page you have to select the link "TV Werbung".)

What do you think of the idea that one of Sophies very privat and melancolic songs appears in a TV spot? As fans of her, should we be happy that her music maybe will become more public and better known? Or is it just strange hearing Sophie sing in a commercial? I´m really not sure about my feelings.
:?

Markus

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 20 Mar 2006, 13:02

I have now discovered that the spot was produced for French speakers, too.
You can watch it on the same Swiss Volvo webpage.

Markus

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 20 Mar 2006, 13:12

...and in Italian, too. Why do I need three posts for that :?

But now we can be pretty sure that the spot was produced only for Swiss television.

Markus

LF
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by LF » 20 Mar 2006, 14:56

My first impression is : the both
It's weird (especially for a car), but also good to make people know her (and the chosen song is "To Know You", so maybe that's what it means :wink: )

I'm gonna have a look to the site ...
about why loneliness follows me"

Rindert
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rindert » 20 Mar 2006, 17:00

I'm not really sure what to think about it.....
First few second are ok I guess, with only the music. But when the voice over comes in, to me then the whole song i broken. And also when the voice over is simultanusly with Sophie singing i don't really like it. I think they should have made the movie longer, where all comments about the car could be in musical parts only. I think that would made it much nicer
Maybe i think they used Sophie's song because Volvo is scandinavian (:?:) and sophie is also from scandinavia....
That is the only link I could think of after seeing and hearing the video.
its always you - www.always-sophie.com

Rubis
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Rubis » 20 Mar 2006, 19:39

Well, that's amazing & I don't really know what to say!

First, thanks for the news, I'm wondering how you've been able to find it on the net?

Secondly, my impressions about this commercial:

At first I listen in German & well, I must admit it sounds not so good mostly because of the voice of the man & sorry to say that but I think the German language sounds a bit tough compared to the sweet voice of Sophie Zelmani whispering words in English....

Then, I listened in French and I can say it sounds ok, not so good but it's not shocking :roll: !

My fav' part is when you see rays of light in a forest (it reminds me of Anton Corbjin's pictures of Sophie :) ) and then you hear " a world I can't explore..."....

Let me just point out that the words spoken by the man in French are very nice ones, it means not like poetry but sounds like it, so I guess it gives a little harmony to the whole lot!

Last but not least, it seems that this commercial has been especially made for the Cars Salon in Geneva which takes place every year in Spring. So I suppose this commercial is only aimed at Swiss people, but I've never seen it on TV yet! I guess I should watch more TV, eh, eh !

See ya'

Rubis

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 21 Mar 2006, 01:10

Hi Rubis!

I did discover the spot when I searched the net hoping to find some radio or even better TV broadcasting of one of Sophie´s concerts from the German/Swiss/Austrian tour. So I was googling with the three words "Zelmani", "TV" and "radio". Of course I didn´t find what I was searching for, but instead the link to the TV spot of the Swiss Volvo page.

@ LF: I agree. First I felt a little bit shocked to hear Sophie´s song in a TV spot. Maybe because it collides with the picture I made myself of Sophie´s art, that really doesn´t seem to be commercial at all. (Commercial in a sense that the big radio stations, which often only play the mainstream stuff, would broadcast her songs.) But looking now to it in a different way I must admit, that maybe I was not honest to myself. Maybe I was only shocked because I did not like the idea that too many people could discover her music. I wanted to be part of a small group of people (a kind of elite), like this in the forum, that knows her music. But now I think that this point of view was much to selfish. :wink:

Markus

Rubis
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Rubis » 21 Mar 2006, 08:39

@Markus:

Well, I understand your point very well....I'm pretty the same as you in this respect cuz I'm not addicted to the fashion and all that stuff ....I would call it anti-conformism but in fact it's just beeing true to yourself and being faithfull to your deep feeling and not thinking that if the media says it's nice & your friends say it's nice, so you're gonna be like them and wear that stuff, listen to that kind of sound & so on.....

But for Sophie, I'm not that way: it means, I would be so happy if she would be better acknowledged for her talent, BUT I know that her aim is not to be famous, so I respect this choice & I hope she'll be able to carry on this way......nervertheless I'm not gonna stop advertising her to anybody I encounter :P even though I might seem ridiculous :lol: cuz you know the quote ...... :wink:

Keep on listening guys !

Rubis

Juanito
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Juanito » 21 Mar 2006, 15:40

I'm not surprised that Sophie's songs is used to a commercial.
Lately in French spots, there are a lot of whispering female songs. And sometimes, it reminds me Sophie's songs. I think it's a new kind of commercial which try to link health and the product that they sell.

After, I'm afraid that those kind of things will make Sophie famous. I like the way that she's playing in small places and near to the crowd.

When "I'll remember you" was used in a episode of Buffy the slayer's vampire and in Dawson Creek, a lot of australian and american people took an interest to her and her songs, but she's not famous anyway. So...

I think right now that she won't be famous at all. Some singers stays in the shadow and there are not bad singers anyway. That's my point of vue.
ho I am, you'll tell me.

LF
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by LF » 21 Mar 2006, 16:21

.... and Stand By in Independance Day :wink:

Markus, Rubis, I feel the same, about "wanted to be part of a small group of people (a kind of elite), like this in the forum, that knows her music" ...
I think Sophie's music means a lot for people like us, because it express feelings hard to be explained, but feelings we're open to.
Aouch, it's hard to explain what I mean in English ^^

About the spot, i agree with you Rubis, it's only for Swiss TV : we don't say "C septante" (C7) but "C soixante dix" in France :wink:
about why loneliness follows me"

Rindert
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rindert » 21 Mar 2006, 16:32

It could happen that sophie now gets popular, because of this video clip. Here it the netherland i've seen it before with commercials. A beatifull song first is in a commercial and then everyone likes the music and starts searching and become a good hit. So it could happen.
its always you - www.always-sophie.com

Rubis
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Rubis » 21 Mar 2006, 16:53

And remember that "Always you" is on the soundtrack of "My best friend's wedding".....but I don't know if we can hear it in the movie.

By the way I'm thinking of a little story I can tell you....once I was at a friend's place checking his CDs and I saw a CD about a music summer festival which takes place every year near the lake of Constance (North-east of Switzerland) It's called "Openair St-Gallen". So I had a look on the tracklist and guess what.....I saw the title "You & him" of Sophie! So I was over disappointed to imagine she could have performed in Switzerland without me knowing it....but my friend told me that she didn't perform but that this CD was just a compilation of songs.....so I was consoled :D !

A year later, I was attending a concert in Vevey (that was her first tour in Switzerland)...Great!

See ya'

P.S. LF your last sentence made me laugh out loud :D :D :D ! You're very perspicace :wink: !

Juanito
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Juanito » 22 Mar 2006, 13:18

Yeah, may be you're right Rindert. May be, she could be famous with this kind of things but in a way I hope not as I wrote before. I like the way intimist of her songs and the personal feelings linked to them.

Some people gets famous after a long time, but Sony don't seem to try to develop a lot this artist. She has the potential to become a famous singer like Katie Melua or Cat Power for example, but I think that's not the wish of Sophie and Sony.

Anyway, Sophie songs means a lot for me and it will be always special to my heart, famous or not.
ho I am, you'll tell me.

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 22 Mar 2006, 14:16

@ Rindert & Juanito:

But we should remember, that Sophie, as far as I know, is allready more successful in Switzerland than in other parts of Europe. If I am right, the "decade of dreams" album and also "Love Affair" were listed both in the official Swiss charts. (Rubis, have you people in Switzerland that much more good taste, than, for example, we guys in Germany? :wink: )

My point is, that the spot is probably only made for Swiss people. So if Sophie´s music is allready better known in Switzerland than in the rest of Europe it doesn´t change that much.

With regard to Sophie´s fame I would express it this way:

Mainstream music has not to be bad only because it is mainstream. But sadly to often one may get the impression that this is exactly the case. But who is to blame? The people, who listen to the music or the big radio stations that are broadcasting it? But that could be a question for another topic. :wink:

Let me say it differently: If Sophie´s music would become mainstream and then the mainstream would change, that would be great. Let´s hope (as not that realistic dreamers that we are) that this will happen sometime.
:wink:

Markus

Bernd
Junior Sophie Fan
Junior Sophie Fan

Post by Bernd » 25 Mar 2006, 13:56

I agree to the most points you mentioned, Markus, but - as the damned egoistic individual I am, you know - I hope that she'll not become too famous here in Germany, just for one reason:

It was so great standing in front row and listening to Sophie at the Prime Club in Cologne from only 1,5 m away, I just don't like the picture in my head of you and me and our forum mates being pressed together like sardines in a box, in a big music hall or stadium surrounded by strange humans (??) who go crazy and so wild that we wouldn't be able to enjoy the concert and to contact her and her band afterwards. It would be absolutely horrible! :wink:

I hope you understand why - in this point - I must disagree with you. :twisted: