The Ocean and Me Tour 2008

All topics about Sophie on tour will be moved here.
Rubis
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Re: The Ocean and Me Tour 2008

Post by Rubis » 22 Sep 2008, 20:42

Hi there !

Thanks for the nice reviews. I just came back a few hours ago from Bern where I attended to Sophie's second concert.

It was the first time I went to that venue. Actually, I "used" to go to Geneva or Vevey. The concert hall was like a theater (but with no seats and with a flat floor!)There was a  gallery at the right of the stage but I don't know if the audience was allowed to go there, even though I saw some people standing there.

There were many people but I cannot say wether or not it was sold out. I had the luck to stand just in the front row.... :) I took my camera but as it was a big one the staff told me it was not permitted to take pictures unless you have an accreditation, too bad! But along the concert I saw many people with small camera taking pictures and (I guess) even filming....never mind, I knew that on the website of the bierhuebli, they would put pictures as they used to do it for the past concerts. So I just check a few minutes ago, and Bingo!!! I was right  ;D: just have a look on: http://www.bierhuebeli.ch/

The setlist:

I quite remember the songs but not really the order. After having read the setlist from Zurich, I can say it was pretty much the same setlist as the one in Bern.

Some comments about the concert:

Really nice version of "Going home". Same as in Zurich I guess: at the beginning only one guitar (Lars Halapi) and Sophie singing. Then little by little other instruments came in, at first in a very quiet way and then louder and louder!

The decoration was linked to sailing and to the sea : a fishing net was hanging, a very big lantern used in boats, some woodboxes, a barell (where Sophie put a glass of red wine, as usual  :D).

Sophie had a simple wooden low chair behind her and she sang a lot of songs sited. It seems to me that in the past she was more often standing, maybe I got this impression because the chair was higher then than now (it used to be a high chair like the one in bars).

The audience seemed at first a little shy : not so many applauses between songs, but then it was more enthusiastic.

Sophie did not talk a lot between songs as usual. She dedicated a song to Big Johny Jewel, the singer who made the supporting act. Actually, he also dedicated a song to her in his gig!

Sophie gave the audience the notebook she gave to the audience in Zurich. She said it was a way for her to get to know us! Many people wrote in it, and at the end I had a look on some messages : all were congratulations and really nice words for Sophie! No wonder actually  ;) !

The concert lasted between 80 and 100 minutes.

So, I will conclude even though there would be a lot more to say !
As a conclusion , I can say that it was a real good concert  :)!!! Indeed, listening to Sophie on stage is always a great pleasure. Actually it is so much different from listening to the album. In the album, songs are usually very quiet but on stage they become more powerful.

Cheers,

Rubis

Rindert
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rindert » 23 Sep 2008, 20:50

Thanks for this nice review Rubis!
It makes very very happy and i'm now really looking forward to see Sophie live as well :)

Thanks very much :D

ps. the pictures of  Bern can also be found in the gallery on this site ;)
its always you - www.always-sophie.com

sweden2006
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by sweden2006 » 24 Sep 2008, 08:14

Hi, do you have any idea: is it allowed to take photos during the concert ???

Thank you for a short reply.
Friedrich

Rubis
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Rubis » 24 Sep 2008, 10:52

Hi Sweeden2006!

I think it can vary from a venue to another. In Switzerland, it was always possible, but only with small cameras and without using the flash. In Bern, I took a sort of "reporter-camera" and the staff asked me not to use it :o....

So, my advice is take a small camera and do not use the flash.

Cheers,

Rubis

malexa
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by malexa » 25 Sep 2008, 00:51

I am just back from the gig in Vienna. This year it seemed, that Sophie was more comfort with the location/audience than last year. Sophie talked more to us and also gave her "guestbook" to the audience. Last year all this was not the case.

And although there were not that many people than last year the applause was always great between the songs.

The songs were touching as always, I enjoyed her new songs and I will be there if she will have a tour in 2009 with a stop in Vienna.

Cornflakegirl
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Meet and Greet & Merchandise?

Post by Cornflakegirl » 28 Sep 2008, 20:14

I am going to see Sophie in Hamburg on Wednesday and I wondered whether there will be a meet and greet before or after the show.
Should I also take a little extra money for merchandise with me?

I am really looking forward to my first Sophie concert :)

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 29 Sep 2008, 14:37

Hi Cornflakegirl!

Maybe there will be a possibility to meet Sophie after the concert. It may depend on the location (big or small) and on your patience. Sophie is a really shy person, but very gentle.  :)  I was visiting the last two concerts in Cologne in 2006 and 2007 and it was really a great experience. The location in Cologne was a club and I was standing only one or two meters in front of the small stage and Sophie´s chair. Sophie was that shy and concentrated that she rarely opened her eyes during the concert. After the show some of her fans (me too  ;) ) were waiting to get some autographs and photos. Sophie first took some time (maybe three-quarters of an hour) for herself backstage but then she came out where we were waiting (but she had to, because this small club only had one exit.  ;) )    She really was very kind, took as much time she needed for all the autographs and fotos.  She always shyly said "Thanks" to each of us who was wishing a foto or autograph.  ;) 

The first time in 2006 there was´nt any merchandise. 2007 they sold discs, posters and shirts.

I really wish you a great concert  :)

Markus     

Cornflakegirl
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by Cornflakegirl » 29 Sep 2008, 21:19

Hi Markus!

Thanks for your fast reply :) Unfortunately the location is rather big so I probably won't be lucky but I'll try anyway :) Patience is not a big problem for me but I have school the next day so I really need to catch the last train. I just hope they will start in time!

Thank you :)

Rindert
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rindert » 01 Oct 2008, 22:16

I was there with Markus at the concert in Cologne :)
It was a really nice experience. First all the band members came out into the club to have a drink and we started talking with them about the concert. They were really friendly and also signed my album. Yes, markus is right sophie is kind of shy, and doesn't talk that much, but the is friendly and taking enought time to sign some cds.
I also waited outside the venue in Berlin after the concert, with another fan from poland and also that time she took enough time, but she did have to hury because her taxi was waiting  for her ;)

I hope i can do this as well this year, but stockholm is quite a big venue and i think i won't be the only one there, but that also can be nice :)
I haven't heard anyone else about merchandise here at the forum, but I hope there is some again.
its always you - www.always-sophie.com

Cornflakegirl
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by Cornflakegirl » 02 Oct 2008, 15:55

It was a very nice show yesterday in Hamburg :)
Sophie seemed to feel very comportable and talked several times between the songs. She also gave around her book (unfortunately I didn't get it - probably next time :)) and asked if the lights could be turned on because she wanted to see the faces of the audience.
The setlist was the same as in Zürich just in a different order:
1. Yeah Okey
2. Wind took my Sail
3. I can't change
4. the Ocean and Me
5. How Different
6. Love
7. This Room
8. Gone with the Madness
9. Most of the Time
10. Moonlight
11. Time
12. July waits
13. Love on my Mind
14. Travelling
15. Composing
16. Going Home (f.e.)
17. To Know You (f.e.)
18. I will be there (f.e.)
19. Dreamer (s.e.)

They didn't sell any merchandise, just her albums. I don't know if there was a meet and greet because I had to go for not missing my train.

lomarodom
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Post by lomarodom » 06 Oct 2008, 10:03

A few more close shots from Vienna: http://travel.webshots.com/album/567688248eNltyf

zuperparanoid
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by zuperparanoid » 13 Oct 2008, 18:27

I can’t help it, but I've just seen Sophie live for the 9th and 10th time, and I think she is just getting better and better.

This time I saw her in Boras and Gothenburg, both concerts were sold out in many days. But the concert in Gothenburg was very special of primarily two reasons:

1) The venue are considerably larger than the places she usually plays. The Concert Hall has 1,247 numbered seats, and is world famous for its fine acoustics and special architecture.

2) While the concert took place, Sweden played an important World Cup qualifier in football. Swedes are crazy about soccer and you would think that the time was not quite perfect. But as I said, the concert was sold out.

The music of Sophie is often described as sad and melancholic. But when the concert was over, all the 1,247 visitors felt that we had experienced something special. The concert exceeded most expectations and we could smile and go home happy.

But the atmosphere I experienced on my way back to the hotel, was quite a contrast. People looked simply a bit disappointing and sad. They hadn’t been listening to this “sad and melancholicâ€