Thx Markus. Theses samples are better !

And, definitively, i'm sure 'I got yours' gonna be one of my favourite songs :D
about why loneliness follows me"

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

New album called "Memory Loves You"

Post by Markus » 04 Feb 2007, 13:06

I´m a little bit confused about the album cover of "Memory loves you". You can see the cover with the picture of Sophie we have already talked about in some internet shops. Then the new CD is promoted at other (German) shops with only a black cover, Sophie´s name and the title on it. Which will be the cover for the new CD now? Or will there be two different versions of the album? :?
But we don´t have to wait that long anymore for the release. So let´s wait and see. :wink:

Markus

Rubis
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

cover of the new album

Post by Rubis » 05 Feb 2007, 20:54

Hi there,

I'm so happy about all these good news :D ! It's been a long time I haven't posted here, but now I'm back like Sophie is :wink:

About the cover of MLY, I saw on a swiss site that there'll be the picture of Sophie on it. But, I guess it's different in each country....don't know why :?:

About the release date in Switzerland, I'm sorry to make some people envious :( but it'll be already on 9th of February....so if you can't wait, just cross the boarder and come to visit Switzerland ;-)

Thanks so much for the links with the samples of the song. For the moment, my fav' one is "Broken sunny day".

Take care and viva Sophie!

Rubis

Halbermensch
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Halbermensch » 06 Feb 2007, 02:27

I got yours is my favorite from the clips, but oh how short they seem...atleast soon the wait is over :D

Halbermensch
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Halbermensch » 06 Feb 2007, 03:48

Just received an email that my signed cd has been sent :D

LF
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by LF » 06 Feb 2007, 10:27

So do I ^^

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 06 Feb 2007, 10:48

Hi Rubis,

Great to know that you are back on the forum. From what I was listening so far from the sound samples my favorite song will be "Broken sunny day", too. :) But, of course, they seem to be great all together.
Every time I hear the news that Sophie will release a new CD I think to myself, even as a fan: "OK, all her other albums were so great, the next one must be - at least - a little bit weaker. It would be human. Than I am listening to the new CD or to the first short Internet sound samples and I am wondering: How the hell she has done that. Once again another wonderful album without one single weaker song." :wink:
Until now, from what I was able to listen to so far, I have to say, that the new album will be, even as a typical Zelmani album in the most positive way, a quiet different one. Melancholic, of course, but in my opinion more exhilarated, much more looking forward to the future.

@Rubis & Halbermensch:
Because I haven´t ordered the signed CD I have yet to wait a little bit longer until the German release date (23th of February). And I hope that I will get signed my CD, too, hopefully at the concert in Cologne. :wink:

Markus

Halbermensch
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Halbermensch » 06 Feb 2007, 16:02

The album has now leaked... I feel that most of us will buy it anyway so it's perhaps alright to mention. Listened through 2 songs so far...not sure what to think yet, it's rather different actually.

Rindert
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rindert » 06 Feb 2007, 19:29

I ordered my album a few days back and it has been sent yesterday, now lets hope it will arrive tomorrow.
I haven't listened to any songs on the internet, except for travelling. The first few notes of the song reminded me of an other Sophie song (don't know which one, i'm very bad at recognising titles). so that one song sounded a little bit familiar. Now just wait a day more....
its always you - www.always-sophie.com

dannewestis
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

Some thoughts after two listenings

Post by dannewestis » 06 Feb 2007, 22:33

I got a nice surprise when I arrived at home late today, Memory loves you had already arrived from CDOn!

Listening the second time right now and, well you know it already, of course it's a great album! It's very Sophie, as usual. Listening with headphones it feels like she's right there whispering in your ears... :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to listen that active and reading the lyrics yet, but a few observations:

* The album comes in a paper wrapper, with the plastic cover inside. The paper wrapper is black with only the name and the album title, the "other cover" is the picture of Sophie, that is in the plastic case.

* I somehow get a Bob Dylanish feeling on some of the songs. Not that it comes as surprise, but especially the guitar in Broken sunny day, perhaps the fastest of the songs, with a bluesy guitar kicking in right from the start and a great solo at the end as the song gets into its climax.

* Regarding the discussion earlier in another thread about Sophie's belief in God, or lack thereof, one of the songs is particularly clear about this, if it's autobiographical. "Love on my mind" starts with the lyrics: "Oh, my Lord. Why have you done my kisses blind. Why do you end what has just begun" and later on "Oh, my trust, why don't you help no more, I used to be so sure". Sounds to me of a faith lost expressed as if it's God who's walked away. But still not without hope, but rather more of a lament.

That song, by the way, starts really delicate but ends in full strength with drums and strings. Well, it goes back to the delicacy for the last verse.

* On the same theme, or I might be overinterpreting, "Now you know" could be about either God or a close friend. "It's quite strange for me to talk, to speak to you this way, I can't see your face when I give my love away. You can only hear I'm still with you. And I might believe that will do" is a beautiful ending of that song, somehow giving herself into the other one's arms. Would be interesting to hear other people's interpretation of this song.

* Someone said from listening to the excerpts that I got yours would become a favourite. Although probably not my very favourite it's a great song, starting with just a guitar and Sophie's intimate, whispering voice (but later building up with strings etc.).

* Although it's Sophie as we know her it's also good to hear some new experiments with instruments here and there. It's the little details in the way her albums are produced that can make a song become better and better for each listen. For example in "Sorrow", there's, I think, a vibraphone discreetly in the background that contributes considerably to the "sound image".

It's too early to compare to other albums, but there are some gems on this one for sure. I find it increasingly more difficult to rate Sophie's albums and songs for each new album, as they are fairly consistent in the way they sound. There's a lot of Lars Halapi on this one too.... :)

I'm not a musician, so these are just some very spontaneous observations as my other plans for the evening were overtaken by "Memory loves you". :)

Now I only have to decide if there will be one, two or even three concerts when she comes to southern Sweden in March.... :)

/Daniel

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 07 Feb 2007, 12:24

Thanks, Daniel, for this great analysis and review and welcome to the forum.
:D

Even that I don´t have ordered my CD yet and only listened to some sound samples, I have come to very similar conlusions.
The new CD seems instrumentally to be more bluesy than her other ones, melancholic as always on the one hand side but as I already have said earlier also more exhilarated and positive on the other hand. Let´s say melanchalic but not depressiv and with a hopeful view into the future.
Regarding to her belief in God - I don´t have my CD yet, so I´m not able to listen to her lyrics right now - all you have said, Daniel, would be suit my feeling I always have when I´m listening to her last album "Love Afair", especially to "Maya´s song".
I really can´t wait much longer to hold this new CD in my own hands. :wink:

Markus

LF
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by LF » 07 Feb 2007, 20:26

I've got it :wink:
Listening to wait for cry at this moment ... :wink:

zuperparanoid
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by zuperparanoid » 09 Feb 2007, 01:35

[quote=""Markus""]Every time I hear the news that Sophie will release a new CD I think to myself, even as a fan: "OK, all her other albums were so great, the next one must be - at least - a little bit weaker. It would be human. Than I am listening to the new CD or to the first short Internet sound samples and I am wondering: How the hell she has done that. Once again another wonderful album without one single weaker song." :wink:
Markus[/quote]
So true! It would be human to release a weaker album now, but it seems not to happen with Sophie - luckily. :wink: The new album is really great! I like all the songs, but "Wait for cry", "Memory loves you", "I got yours", "Love on my mind" and "Shades" are probably my favourites so far...

LF
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by LF » 09 Feb 2007, 10:44

Yes, after few listening, "i got yours" is still one of my favourite.
(maybe my favourite with Travelling, finally).

Wait for Cry, Memory loves you and Broken sunny day just after. And How different, Love on my mind just just after.

And about Sorrow, Now you know and Shades, it's just that I don't have them enough in my head yet (hard to say it english : i mean i can recognize now all the others, i can humming them and appreciate them. It's not yet the case for the two last, and it's beginning the case for Sorrow.

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 09 Feb 2007, 13:56

Listening to the sound samples on myspace and reading the lyrics of "Memory loves you" on your site, zuperparanoid (by the way, thank you for the great work), I´m wondering if Sophie´s ability to write beautiful poetic lyrics, has increased once more. I always loved her melancholic style to express feelings not only through her music but also through her poetic lyrics. But now I´ve got the impression that Sophie has reached a new - even higher lever of expressing herself. The themes are the same. But her new lyrics seem to be full of metaphors and riddles. Critics always have compared Sophie´s music to some of Bob Dylan´s (the master of lyrics). I think that this comparison is even more correct regarding to her new CD. And let´s stress, that Sophie´s native language isn´t English. My admiration grows and grows.
Ok, ok, I am getting enthusiastic like a teenager, and I shouldn´t. :oops:
So I will stop now. :wink:

Markus