Has anyone ever heard this?

Post by qokyax » 26 May 2006, 14:02

Rindert
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rindert » 28 May 2006, 00:40

I've never seen it before.
And i have to agree with you, i don;t really like it. Maybe it is because it is a japanese translation and not english.
The music isn;t that bad i think. but i still like it the best the '95 version of sophie. Always You is a wonderfull song i think.
its always you - www.always-sophie.com

zuperparanoid
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by zuperparanoid » 28 May 2006, 23:26

I knew that Faye Wong had a version of Sophie's "Going Home", but I have never heard it (or seen it) before. So thanks a lot for the link, it was very interesting. :D I do also prefer Sophie's version (of course!!), but I don't think this version was that bad at all...

qokyax
Junior Sophie Fan
Junior Sophie Fan

Post by qokyax » 29 May 2006, 10:40

I just think there is something strange, mybe as said rindert because it's in japanese...

zuperparanoid
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by zuperparanoid » 29 May 2006, 20:51

I'm also more familiar with the English language, but if you listen to the music and her voice, it isn't that bad. However, I think Faye Wong is Chinese - not Japanese...

qokyax
Junior Sophie Fan
Junior Sophie Fan

Post by qokyax » 30 May 2006, 00:14

Yop that's possible, I didn't know her at all, maybe she's chinese.

I think that the music and the voice aren't that bad, of course, they're even good! But it's too close of the original (she uses the same samples of guitar and piano...), she should have changed more things... made something more personnal for a song that is so intimate...

Plus it's true that it's one of my favourite Sophie song...

Elske
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Elske » 02 Jun 2006, 23:16

It's not so bad. She tried to sing similar as Sophie...

It's just strange, because we know Sophie's version...
ww.always-sophie.com

But it's always a pleasure to sing and dance with you!

Halbermensch
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Halbermensch » 05 Jun 2006, 21:49

To download the video:
http://keepvid.com/

Halbermensch
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Halbermensch » 09 Jun 2006, 00:56

According to wikipedia she was born in China...so that would make it a Chinese version.. :)

Not bad, but I of course prefer the original.

Markus
Real Sophie Fan
Real Sophie Fan

Post by Markus » 09 Jun 2006, 02:24

In my opinion this Chinese version is not that bad at all. Of course it is also a little bit strange for me listening to Sophie´s beautiful song now beeing sung in an asian language. But I have to agree with Elske. The singer is trying to imitate Sophie´s voice and style and I think she gets it pretty well. Intrumentaly there aren´t heavy changes to the originally version, either. I once read an interview in the German weekly magazine "Der Spiegel". Sophie mentioned in that interview that she - as we all know - doesn´t like traveling that much. But she also said that she likes the idea that her music ist "travelling" around the world for her instead. My point is this: Sophie is not only a great singer, but she is also, and in my opinion in the first place, a great songwriter. So if her lyrics would be translated in many different languages without destroying the mood and meanings of the songs that wouldn´t be such a bad thing, I guess.
Different languages than English aren´t a real problem I think (maybe they can be helpful for many people understanding the meanings of her songs better.)
For me the important question is this one: Are the lyrics of the Chinese version changing the meaning of the song. Are the lyrics different or are they just the same as in English?
So now once again in one sentence. :wink:

For me a different language, even Chinese, could not destroy the whole song. Another, not exactly translated lyrics, of course could.

Sadly I don´t understand Chinese. :wink: But this would be interesting for me to know: Are the Chinese lyrics changing the meaning of the song. So is the singer telling a different story, or is it just staying the same as in the original English version?

@Elske: It´s great to finally hear from you through the forum. Since I joined this fourm at the beginning of this year I asked myself where is Elske, one of the two founders of this forum. Now you are active together with Rindert in this forum once again. Great.
:D

desertrose
New Sophie fan
New Sophie fan

What did Faye sing

Post by desertrose » 05 Dec 2006, 20:39

I have to say something about Faye's interpretation of Sophie's "Going Home". It's not a Japanese version. It's in Chinese. Sophie is now known to many Chinese fans because of Faye. She has been very important in introducing western music to Chinese fans. Before Sophie, she also did the Cranberries.

Personally I like Sophie's original better than Faye's. But Faye's is not bad at all. The Chinese lyrics always reminds me of her first failed marriage to a talented Chinese folk singer. Her ex-husband had a strong influence over her music. After he got involved in an affair with another woman, Faye filed divorce and got the custody for their 2-year-old girl. Her ex-husband got married again soon after their divorce.

The lyrics in Chinese, literally translated as in below. I said it's not bad at all. Enjoy! :D

We have passed many intersections,
We still have a long way to go
It's not a difficult drive though
In a minute we'll be home

I ride with you
I listen to the songs you listen
We are so happy together

The traffic lights are on
What are you thinking now
The music is so happy
I heard the singer got married

I ride with you